This video-based learning activity provides updates by experts about diagnosis and management, as well as therapeutic options for specific types of Interstitial lung diseases.
There are five videos of expert presenters. To see the session titles, review the Objectives below. To learn about the speakers, review the Faculty tab.
This learning activity includes recordings from the Adult Pulmonary Core series presented at the 2022 ATS International Conference. The Core supports clinicians who are engaged in maintenance of certification activities by providing updates on subjects included in recertification requirements. The ATS Pulmonary Clinical Core Curriculum focuses on a 3-year content cycle of key topics in Pulmonary Medicine. This symposium is intended to help clinicians stay up-to-date with important information relevant to their medical practices, and to provide an opportunity for clinicians to evaluate their individual knowledge and skills while earning MOC Medical Knowledge points.
This session is intended for clinicians who care for patients with interstitial lung disease, including practicing internists, subspecialists, registered nurses and advanced practice nurses in pulmonary, critical care, and sleep medicine who work in a clinical setting and are currently engaged in maintenance of certification.
The objectives are sorted by session video.
Diagnostic Approach to Interstitial Lung Disease (Erica Farrand, MD)
- Discuss the importance of proper classification of ILD
- Discuss non-invasive studies used to diagnose ILD, including emerging biomarkers
- Understand when and how invasive studies are applied in making an ILD diagnosis
- Define the features of a multidisciplinary conference and its impact on ILD diagnosis
Granulomatous Lung Diseases (Bridget Collins, MD)
- Develop a framework for the evaluation of granulomatous lung disease in clinical practice
- Compare and contrast clinical features of the most common noninfectious granulomatous lung diseases
- Discuss diagnostic approach to common noninfectious granulomatous lung diseases
- Describe variable management and prognosis in granulomatous lung disease
- Analyze uncertainties in granulomatous lung disease that may influence outcomes
Pulmonary Manifestations of Autoimmune Disease (Leticia Kawano-Dourado, MD)
- Describe common and uncommon pulmonary manifestations of autoimmune diseases
- List differential diagnoses in the context of a patient with autoimmune disease and pulmonary symptoms/signs
- Manage the pulmonary manifestations of autoimmune diseases based on the most recent medical evidence
Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (Ayodeji Adegunsoye, MD, MS)
- Identify essential components in the initial evaluation of patients with IPF
- Recognize risk factors for disease progression and highlight strategies for monitoring IPF over time
- Describe the current approach to timing of anti-fibrotic therapy and lung transplantation evaluation in IPF management
Therapeutic Options in Progressive Fibrotic Lung Disease (Robert Hallowell, MD)
- Discuss the mechanism of action, efficacy, and side effect profile for both pirfenidone and nintedanib.
- Identify diseases in which the presence of progressive fibrosing interstitial lung disease (PF-ILD) may warrant the use of anti-fibrotic therapy.
- Recognize emerging antifibrotic therapies and their potential mechanisms of action
3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit
3.00 ABIM MOC
Credit Expires: October 10, 2023
|Başak Çoruh, MD||Associate Professor||University of Washington||Core Curriculum Chair||No Relationships to disclose|
|Margaret (Molly) M. Hayes, MD, ATSF||Assistant Professor of Medicine||Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center||Core Curriculum Chair||No Relationships to disclose|
|Garth Garrison, MD||Associate Professor||University of Vermont Medical Center||Pulmonary Core Chair||No Relationships to disclose|
|Josalyn Cho, MD||Associate Professor of Internal Medicine||University of Iowa Colldge of Medicine||Pulmonary Core Co-Chair||NIH-NHLBI: Research: investigator initiated|
NIH-NIAID: Research: investigator initiated
|Erin Camac, DO||Associate Professor of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine||The University of Kentucky||Planner||No Relationships to disclose|
|Jane Deng, MD||Associate Professor||University of Michigan||Planner||No Relationships to disclose|
|Scott Oh, DO||Associate Professor of Medicine||University of California, Los Angeles||Planner||Intuitive: Consultant|
|Krishna Sundar, MD||Professor||Univ of Utah||Planner||Hypnoscure LLC: Ownership or investment interests (includes stock)|
Merck: Advisory Committee
Phillips Respironics: Research Support
|Erica Farrand, MD||Assistant Professor||University of California, San Francisco||Presenter 1||No Relationships to disclose|
|Bridget Collins, MD||Clinical Associate Professor||University of Washington||Presenter 2||Boehringer Ingelheim: Advisory Committee for non-promotional|
|Leticia Kawano-Dourado, MD||Clinical Instructor||University of Sao Paulo||Presenter 3||Boehringer Ingelheim: Research - investigator initiated; Speaker/faculty - promotional purpose|
Bristol Myers Squibb: Research - investigator initiated
Fisher & Paykel: Research - investigator initiated
Lilly: Speaker/faculty - non-promotional purpose
|Ayodeji Adegunsoye, MD, MS||Assistant Professor||University of Chicago||Presenter 4||NIH/NHLBI: Research - investigator initiated|
Boehringer Ingelheim: Consultant; Speaker/faculty - non-promotional purpose
Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation: Research - investigator initiated
|Robert Hallowell, MD||Assistant Professor||Massachusetts General Hospital||Presenter 5||Genentech: Speaker/faculty - non-promotional purpose|
Boehringer Ingelheim: Advisory Committee for non-promotional
Boehringer Ingelheim: Speaker/faculty - non-promotional purpose
The American Thoracic Society is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
|Credit Type||Credit/Points||Credit Designation Statement|
|AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™||3.00||The American Thoracic Society designates this Video for a maximum of 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.|
|ABIM MOC||3.00||Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 3.00 MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine's (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.|
It is the policy of the ATS to ensure independence, balance, objectivity, scientific rigor, and integrity in all of its continuing education activities. As an accredited CME provider, the ATS requires that its planners, reviewers and presenters comply with the ACCME Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education. The ATS also requires specific disclosure of relationships with companies and organizations associated with tobacco or cannabis and prohibits or limits participation of faculty in official ATS activities, including CME, if any tobacco industry relationship or some types of cannabis industry relationships are present. To see the most recent policies regarding potential conflicts of interest as well as the mechanisms to resolve such conflicts, press the COI Policy link below.
This educational activity may include discussion of unapproved uses of a drug, product, or device. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings.
INSTRUCTIONS TO RECEIVE CREDIT
To earn credit for this course, follow these instructions:
- Launch and view all session videos.
- After viewing the videos, you must attest that you viewed all the videos prior to starting the post test.
- You must pass the post test with a 70% score or better.
- Complete the Course Evaluation.
- Once you view the videos, pass the post test and complete the evaluation, you may claim credits.
- To view your transcript and print your certificate, go to the My Account drop-down list. Then select Transcript.